Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

When I was just out of college, I interviewed for a communications position with a conservative non-profit in Washington, DC. Given the industry (and the city) I chose to wear a very staid and elegant designer skirt suit that I’d purchased at deep discount at Filene’s Basement. I arrived at the interview site 20 minutes early and was motioned to the lobby where I should wait for the hiring manager....


As I was sitting down, some papers slid out of my portfolio and onto the ground. As I bent over to pick them up, I heard a very distinct tearing sound. I anxiously reached behind me and realized that the seam of my skirt had ripped nearly all the way up the back.

Thinking quickly, I twisted the skirt so that the long rip was now going up my thigh instead of revealing my entire behind. When the hiring manager came out to greet me, her eyes immediately fell on the absurdly risque “slit” in my skirt. Needless to say, I did not get the job.